Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Our 1st Broken Bone (or 2)

We officially have our first broken bone at the age of 4.

I arrived at Logan's school to pick him up on Thursday March 7 at my normal time about 5:20. As soon as I walked in the classroom, Logan's teacher said, "Did Mrs. Shereal call you". Immediately concerned by that comment I said, "No, why". She proceeded to tell me that Logan was playing on the playground and was trying to jump over some tires and his feet got caught as he went up to jump causing his body to slam down on the ground and he tried to brace his self with his arms and hurt his right arm pretty bad. It had just happened at 4:30pm so Logan was still upset and you could tell recovering from crying. He told me, "mama, my arm hurts". I asked him he was ok and he said yes but would complain about it every once in a while. We had a school fundraiser event at a restaurant that night and Logan was not being himself and being a little whiney about his arm. He would say, "Mommy, will pick my arm up", he wouldn't use it to go to the bathroom and anytime you touched it he would say "Owww". I called Levi to let him know I thought he hurt it pretty bad and it would probably be pretty bruised up. We kept an eye on it that night and Levi went and got a ace bandage and a fancy ice pack for Logan. He thought that was all cool and seemed to be better.

Friday morning he woke up and it was a little swollen but really barely noticeable, I almost thought I was talking myself into saying it was swollen. He went to school that day and seemed ok. I told him that if his arm started to hurt to tell Mrs. Maureen and she would call his daddy to come pick him up. Levi called me around 3pm saying Mrs. Maureen sent him a text saying, "Logan was asking about you but he is ok". I told Levi that must mean his arm hurts, you need to go get him. By the time I got home from work on Friday, Logan was recovering from hurting his arm again as he was going to the bathroom, he went to fling himself off the potty so daddy could wipe his bottom and landed on his hands. Levi said he freaked out, when I got home, Logan wouldn't even eat his chocolate shake. I knew that was weird but we still felt like maybe he was being dramatic cause his arm was not bruised or hardly even swollen. We thought maybe he twisted his wrist due to the way he would complain when he would turn it.

Saturday was a good day, he didn't complain once so we thought it would be ok to take him to Grant's birthday at Pump it up. We had it wrapped up and told him to be careful. He played the whole time one handed with no issues and was pretty careful.



Sunday was a pretty good day for the most part too, we headed to my sisters house for Brynleigh's birthday party at 3pm. Logan was walking in the door with the present in one hand and his other arm wrapped up. He tripped in the middle of the living room over his own feet and landed on his arm and he FREAKEd out. He would not stop crying! He kept telling me, it hurts mommy, it hurts. It hurts mommy it hurts. I said, does it hurt like a shot....no, does it hurt like a pinch....no, does it hurt like a shock....no. Well what does it hurt like? He said, its like HURT mommy! I knew we needed to take him so we left the birthday party and headed to the Emergency Care place in Forney. We went back in the room and the PA came in and was asking questions and feeling his arm...Logan wasn't saying anything and she said, "I am pressing kind of hard". At that point, Logan let out a OWW! LEvi said, I knew it, were wasting $150. We went in to get the X-rays and Logan would cry when they would try to turn his arm a certain way to get a good picture so I ended up having to hold his arm in place while they got it. I will never forget that moment as that X rays slowly revealed from top to bottom on the screen and seeing them point and shake their hand at his arm. I got soooo hot all of a sudden and remember throwing my jacket off thinking I was going to pass out. How in the world was our childs arm broke in TWO places and we didn't know. Poor Levi, I thought he was going to start crying he felt so bad. Logan on the other had, thought it was all pretty cool and had a sense of "see mommy, I told you hurt" attitude about himself. We got it wrapped up really good and home we were sent and needed to schedule a visit with the orthopedic surgeon the next day.








I was able to get an appt first thing on Monday. Everything was pretty straight forward at the appt. They took more X-rays and confirmed it was broke. Told us it was a Buckle Fracture on his Radius and Ulna, it was not on any growth plates, he didn't need surgery and he was going to heal just fine. The were going to have to cast him above the elbow since it was in the middle of his forearm but in three weeks we could come back and get an below the elbow cast to make life easier on Logan. We got the cast and we were on our way. Logan picked a red cast so he could be like spider man. He was so cute during it all, he thought it was all so fun!! When we were walking out of the dr. office, Logan said, Mommy, How do i put my arm down. I said, you can't and he replied, I gotta always be like this and I said yep! He never complained once, or anything from that point on about the cast. He would simply ask for help to get dressed and go to the bathroom and if there was anything else he needed. Never said, I don't want to wear this, take this off nothing. We were so proud of him.









Logan wanted to get SpiderMan drawn on it so one Friday Levi and Logan came up to my work and we got some lunch and one of our employees who is a great graphics artist drew him some cast art. It turned out pretty cool!!



I took some pictures of Logan with his cast one last time the morning before Levi was going to take him to get it off and get his below the elbow version. He was being very silly and thought it would be hilarious to drink out of a baby sippy cup that morning. Crazy Kid.








Then he got some more X-rays, they confirmed it was healing great and right on scheduled and Logan picked a blue cast this time for Captain America. So of course, we had to get some Captain America art on it too!!






Logans Three favorite things in the world....my bed, chocolate shakes and his Kindle Fire!! :)

No comments: