Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Happy Birthday Logan!


Welcome to the world Logan Levi Long! 7 LBS 8 OZ and 22 Inches long...born at 5:43am.
This evening your dad and I were on our way to our marriage group. On the way there I had a couple of contractions that were a little more painful than the ones I had been having. I ignored it and thought they would go away since the other one’s had. We were trying to figure out what we wanted to eat and decided on McDonalds (not a good choice!). While eating, a few more contractions came. We went to the group and headed home around 9:30pm. I took a shower and decided to go ahead and go to bed. While laying in bed I noticed that the contractions were really starting to hurt so I started to time them. They were still sitting at about 10 minutes apart so I decided to continue trying to go to sleep. At approximately 11:30pm I felt a contraction starting to come that I knew was going to hurt…all of a sudden, I feel this burst of water and sure enough….my water was broke. I yelled for your Dad and he comes running in frantically!!!. He was trying to ask me if I was ok, let the dogs outside, call the doctor, grab all the bags, get me a towel, take the sheets off the bed and wash them all at the same time. I in the meantime am sitting on the floor in severe pain wondering why he is not being very calm!!! In between a contraction, I stopped to get his attention and told him, "he was going to have to calm down."
Dr. Heckman called back right away and asked me a few questions then told us to head to the hospital. We went straight there and the contractions were getting very close and very painful on the way. Your Dad then passes the hospital and as I am noticing this….I ask him, "where are you going"…..we then circle the block and make it to Labor and Delivery. As we are walking in, your Dad says, “Where do we go?”….I guess everything we learned on our hospital tour was out the window at that point!!!!

We got checked into the hospital and taken into a room in Labor and Delivery. As I am starting to have increasingly more pain the nurses start to notice that your heart rate is dropping. I had to get oxygen and remain laying on my side so you were not in distress. Finally, I had to ask the nurse….WHEN DO I GET THE EPIDURAL! She calmly laughed and said, "oh, in about 30 minutes or so after we get you some fluids and the doctor checks you to make sure your water is broke!" I think that was the longest 30 minutes EVER! Through all this…..people are starting to arrive at the hospital to wait for your arrival. Holly, Nana, Popa, Angela, Brad and Shann all arrive. I finally got my epidural and then they all came in to wish us luck! The doctor confirmed that I was at a full 6 when I arrived and now an hour and half later was a full 10 and it was time to start pushing.

As we started pushing we quickly realized that you had not had much time to come down and that your head had not formed at all to allow you to fit. In addition to that they had concerns about my pelvic bone and your little head getting through. A C Section at that point was an option. I was determined to not have a C Section and it gave me extra motivation to push. After 3 long hours of pushing you arrived at 5:43am on October 22, 2008. The doctor put you on my stomach as they wiped you down and you were the most precious thing I had ever seen! You were 7Lbs 8ozs and 20.75 inches long. You had a head full of dark hair!
They said you were perfect and that everything looked good! They nurse’s moved us up to our room around 8am! Your Dad, Nana, Angela, Holly and Sara came with us to the room.
It was a long night but worth it all! You are the sweetest most precious little boy and your Dad couldn’t agree more!

No comments: